Thursday 25 June 2009

The benefits of non-stick cookware (Or why I love Circulon)

Non-stick, PTFE, Teflon. You either love the stuff, or hate it. I love it unashamedly, and firmly believe it makes me a better cook. Whether I am doing caramelised balsamic onions, or just good old porridge, nothing sticks to my trusty Circulon pans.

I didn’t always love non-stick though. As a student, my knowledge of it was limited to the horrible frypan lurking in the back of the cupboard, with its non-stick all scratched and peeling off. I just ignored it and used the equally nasty stainless steel pans. The thing is everyone has seen one of these awful frypans (usually purchased from a now defunct high street store) and it makes non-stick seem a bit unappealing.

Then I started working at Pots and Pans. Sales skill being no small part of the job, I started to believe the hype about Circulon products. A sauté pan came on special offer so I bought one, to see what all the fuss was about. It was the best thing I had ever used. Nothing stuck to it, not even a bit! Better than that it cleaned up brilliantly (even though I left it until the next morning). I was a convert from that moment on.

Many years later, and though the branding has changed (the range now includes Circulon Elite, Circulon Infinite and Circulon Steel) the quality remains the same. My cooking skills have improved somewhat though, and I now appreciate the subtleties of the range. The heavy gauge aluminium body means the heat conduction is excellent, which in turn means you can cook on a lower temperature, saving power. The superb non-stick means barely any oil is required when cooking, and you will not believe how easy they are to clean until you try it. And the sauté pan I bought so many years ago? The longevity of these pans is great, so it’s still going strong.

So if you have been a bit put off by the frightening looking non-stick pan lurking in the corner, chuck it in the bin and get yourself a Circulon one, I guarantee you will love it!

Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment